Saturday, November 20, 2010

Grocery Store... and List!

When John was still an infant I use to DREAD going to the grocery store. One time he started screaming in the middle of the trip, and it just traumatized me! I was kinda surprised how quickly I grabbed the rest of the groceries on my list and got me and my screaming baby out of there!

At about 5 months John out grew his infant carrier, but couldn't sit up unsupported. This was a problem because I couldn't carry in his new car seat for him to sit it. For a while I would take in the Bobby and put that behind him.

He is getting the hang of it and, in addition to being a bigger much happier baby, our trips to the grocery store are a lot of fun! He still can't balance well in the seat, but I'm right there to prop him back up.... it's funny how he can basically crawl, but doesn't want to sit up on his own.... silly kid.

During John's nap I make my list. Then I get him up, feed him and off we go! I know most Moms think their kids are the cutest kids in the universe but... mine really is the cutest kid in the universe! And I LOVE all the compliments I get when we are cruising around the store.

I also love to tell John all about groceries (I know I look like such a nut talking to my 6 month old like he's five... but it's our little game and I like it!). Sometime I even let John explore grocery items. My favorite memory of him was when he was trying to pick up an acorn squash. He leaned over and grunted and grunted and grunted... then he gave up and lunged at it like he does everything else. He is so cute!

One not so cute (and kinda scary) moment happened with my grocery list. John was looking at it and trying to grab it the entire time. So when I got close to the end I let him play with it. After grabbing a few more things I looked down at him and notice my list was gone... but he was chewing on something. In a matter of 2 seconds he had waded up and almost swallowed the entire list! I have that kid that puts everything in his mouth!







BUT! My adorable little boy isn't the point of this post.

I wanted to share a tip that has really helped me stay within my grocery budget while I'm at the store shopping. It's so tempting to just go into the store and grab what I think I need... but if I do that at the end of the month I've spent twice the amount I budgeted for. Especially since we don't eat out anymore. I often think to myself, "Well, if I get it at the store it will be cheaper." While that is true, you can still go quite a bit over budget if you let that thought run too wild.

First and foremost I try to ALWAYS make a list! And (the important part) if it's not on the list it doesn't go into the basket. It takes some discipline but you will be grateful at the end of the month (or whenever you sit down to review your budget).

Secondly, I came up with a system for making my grocery list that NEVER fails to keep me in budget. I think I created it, but it could very well be an idea that has already been done.

When I make my list I guess the price of each item. I guess even if I don't know what the price will be.... I just force myself to put a number down. I try to keep the numbers simple and usually whole numbers... they just add up a lot easier that way. Then I sum all the things on my list and see if I have enough money to get what I want. It only adds a few seconds to making my list and it has great benefits!

So my list look something like this...

Milk (3) <<--- a little ridiculous that milk is that high!
Eggs (2)
Flour (3)
Limes (1)
Tomatoes (3)
Cilantro (1)
Jalapenos (1)
Fish (4)
Beef (4)
Stir Fry Veggies (2)
Pasta (1)
Red Sauce (2)
Oatmeal (3)
-------------
Total $30


The great part is that if something is on sale I come in under. I usually break my rule and get something that isn't on my list... usually feta, because it's not a necessity, but it's so nice to have around. But if a few items are a little higher than my guess then I know not to grab something extra. I used to drag in a calculator with me to help me stay on budget, but now if I stay within the price that I wrote down I don't have to worry about going over... or calculating up my total before I check out.

Hopefully this is a useful tip for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment