Thursday, April 28, 2011

Quilt, Video & Aggie Ring

My sweet sister-in-law, Christine, got her Aggie Ring a few days ago (remember that busy weekend). Even though we were only there for the actual getting of the ring, it was still a fun day.

I had finished a quilt for Christine and decided to give it to her when she got her ring. It is all of her high school t-shirts and didn't have anything to do with her Aggie Ring, but it was done and I wanted to give it to her. Here is a picture of her opening her quilt...



And the front...



And the back...



So a couple of things are different about the way I made this quilt. Most people that make t-shirt quilts will stabilize the t-shirts. I don't really like that because it makes the whole quilt stiffer. I don't stabilize because I want the quilt to be as soft and snuggle-ly as possible... after all, quilts are made to snuggle under.

So, how do I keep things straight? Patience, ball point needles & a walking foot. I try to make all my cuts as straight as possible and I don't rush piecing. The ball point needles glide through the knit fabric and the walking foot feeds the fabric in evenly so that things don't shift around.

Another thing I do is use the scraps (or blank sides of extra shirts) for the backing. I did it because I had them and it saved me having to go buy more fabric and because t-shirts are really soft. It makes a double sided quilt... sorta... I don't stress about keeping things as straight because after all, it is the back.

I also used left over t-shirt scraps for the binding. Keeping the softness, again. I used a cotton batting. So this quilt was pretty much like snuggling into a 100% cotton t-shirt. Now, who doesn't want to do that?

John loves when I work on quilts... or just throw a blanket down in the floor. I'm pretty sure his wife is going to be a quilter :) I had to take a video of his silliness...





Here are more pictures from Christine's Aggie Ring weekend...

How cute are these roommates?



Yah! So excited!!!



Yep, we're an Aggie family!



John with something in his mouth... of coarse...



Aggie Ring Dunk!

No comments:

Post a Comment