Monday, August 24, 2009

Quarter Collection

Last week Steven found the final quarter (Arizona) for my 50 states quarter collection. I WAS SO EXCITED!



I know it sounds nerdy, but the collection is quite sentimental for me. My Dad started the collection for me when they first came out (1999). His originally intent was to collect the quarters himself and then give me the full set when it was completed. I was of course able to look at them or even help him out if I wanted to... but he kept them "safe" for me.

My Dad died of cancer December 2003. It was a long battle and when the time came I was thankful my Dad was able to rest. After his death, I received the quarter collection. I felt determined at that point! I knew it was something my Dad wanted for me so I wanted to make sure I completed it.

It was quite perfect because I was starting my first year in college. Since my roommates and I had to do laundry in the dorms or at a laundry facility, I was able to search through many quarter jars and trade. It wasn't very difficult... I just had to remember to do it.

When 2008 started I couldn't believe it! The last five quarters were coming out and I was going to complete my quarter collection by the end of the year!!! .... ... ... Then, Steven and I got a washer and dryer. So we had to be a little more diligent about checking quarters. We didn't finish exactly on time, but it's done! It really blessed me.

After dealing with the initial shock of losing a love one, the hardest part (at least for me) is moving on with your life even though they aren't a part of it. The wedding wasn't hard on the day of the wedding, but looking back on it and remembering that my Dad wasn't there... that was hard. I wish my Dad could see our silly quarter collection, but the Lord had other plans. I have memories and I'm very grateful for those.

Pretty soon, I will graduate and that is another thing my Dad would have been proud of, and so it stirs up emotions. Some days I can't believe he's gone... and has been for so long... it's helping me understand how short and precious our lives are.


No comments:

Post a Comment