Monday, February 21, 2011

Classic Onesie

I found a tutorial for a '90 minute shirt' made from old t-shirts. Exactly my style! I didn't follow the instructions exactly... I made my own trim because I was trying to use supplies I already had and I made a onesie instead of a shirt. But I think it turned out just great!



T-shirt donated by our homegroup leader's wife! Thanks!



I made it completely from a t-shirt with the addition of 3 snaps and some thread. I used her tutorial on making a pattern as well. I did have to ruin a cheap white onesie that John had outgrown, but with all the t-shirt we have piled up to re-purpose I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. And old t-shirts are sooo soft... I just want to snuggle him up!

Following the tutorial was pretty simple, actually. It's looks kinda intimidating at first glance, but after that you apply the trim you sew two straight lines and the sleeves... which are WAY easier than they look. Apply the snaps and your done! Making my own pattern was great because I could make onesie for a VERY long torso baby... he takes after his Dad big time! The kid wears a 24-month onesies, but 12-month pants. He's mostly torso.

I used Dana's (she wrote the tutorial) sneaky trick to us the already hemmed parts of the shirt to say yourself time. I used the sleeves to make John's sleeves and if I make a shirt in the future than I'll use the bottom of the shirt to make the bottom hem. Genius!

She says it's a 90-minute shirt but she also warns that your first time it will take longer because it's your first one. Well, I actually made the pattern and the shirt in 90-minutes. I know this because I was watching the last part of the Early Show and Rachel Ray while working on it. AND I did a diaper change & put John down for a nap during that time! I'm confident I can make the onesie in less than 60-minutes after a make a few more! I'm excited!

I have some other ideas for boyish embellishments, but I think this white one is definitely as keeper. I can use it for his baby sister (or brother) and he can wear it under his many pairs of overalls he will be sporting around this summer. The only thing I'm not completely happy with is the trim... but I made it up so I'm the only one to blame. It's just a little bulky. I'm sure with more experimenting I'll get it right.

I pretty sure John likes it... or he's just happy to be up from his nap!

Cutie!!!

5 comments:

  1. You are so crafty its amazing! Do you think I could pay you to make a "big sister" and "little sister" outfit for my baby girls?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fallon, are you expecting?! You mentioned little sister (or brother)
    ~ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope Ann. But we are starting to talk about the next one. I have to wait till May at least because of the c-section. John needs siblings, though. I don't know that I can do this only child thing that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, that is one cute kid! I can't wait until Ezra is smiling like that!!!

    ReplyDelete