I follow this blog called "eat real." I started following it about a year ago when I was dabbling in making everything from scratch. And while I do still enjoy making most things from the basics, I have come to realize that it's more important to get dinner on the table... so every once and a while I grab that can of cream 'o' fill-in-the-blank soup and get dinner done.
I have still found my 'from the basics' blog useful. I find that she has creative ways to get a wider variety of food in your family's diet... even if they are strange at times. Last week she posted a recipe for Baked Oatmeal. I was intrigued. So I mixed up some for breakfast for Saturday morning.
It was DELICIOUS!!! I loved the texture! 'Soft not gloppy' just like she says on her blog! I'm an oatmeal fan, but a bowl of the mushy porridge doesn't always make my appetite do a back flip. However the baked version was like happiness in my mouth. The top is kinda like a soft granola and the inside is warm, soft and moist like an oatmeal cinnamon brownie. Delightful!
We put 'cream' (well, half & half because it's what we had) on top of it like the website called for, but it didn't really add much to the dish.
The recipe made about four servings... really 3 if you have a large husband... but needless to say we had left overs. So I thought it would be a good experiment to see how well it re-heated.
The next day (today) I reheated the oatmeal (~1.5 minutes in the microwave)... and 'Oh My!' still happiness in my mouth! I was SHOCKED that it reheated as well as she said it would. Even better we spotted some yogurt in the back of the fridge and dolloped some onto our spilt left over serving of baked oatmeal. AMAZINGNESS!!!!
YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS RECIPE!!!
I'm planning on making some to store for the weekdays. This will give us another option instead of the whole wheat apple muffins... which get old after a while. So excited!
Eat Real is the website where I found honey-butter popcorn. Really similar to kettle corn. I made this for homegroup once and we decided that honey and butter were made for each other. God created honey and said, “It is not good for honey to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” (p.s. God didn't really say that)
However, eat real is also where I discovered Kale Chip. I've tried and tried to like Kale to a no avail. I've since given up on kale and decided that spinach is good enough.
Happy Experimenting in the Kitchen!
I love baked oatmeal. I have a peanut butter baked oatmeal recipe that is amazing, and with the eggs and peanut butter it has quite a bit of protein so it stay full until lunch more easily.
ReplyDeleteThis one looks good too so I might have to break out of my routine. Did you use all three types of berries though? That seems like it would be expensive.
Oh no, I didn't add any berries or nuts even. It was just oats. I tried it plain first because I wasn't sure how the texture would turn out. The peanut butter sounds good. I want to try a banana nut version... maybe chocolate banana for special ocassions. Yummy... I can't wait for breakfast.
ReplyDelete