We headed out on Friday with a car packed to the ceiling!
We camped with the Hugghins & Jay (as in we did most of our meals together). The good company helped me overlook that it was 105 degrees during the day.
I brought John's tunnel (and a few other toys) along with us because I thought it would distract him from eating so much dirt. It didn't. Instead the Hugghins kids played with John's toys while he ate sticks. What can ya do?
I think John has camping down. He's been 3 times in his short life of one year (kinda crazy to think he's only been with us a year, it feels like he's always been here). We brought a fan and set it on full blast when he napped during the day. He did excellent. One night (because he saw me) he had a hard time sleeping, but in general I give him an A+ for sleeping while camping. Granted, he wakes up earlier because he sees us in the morning when it's light out, but I'll gladly wake up at 6am if he takes good naps and goes to bed at 7pm.
I took a lot of sleeping pictures. I tried to be better about taking pictures of the activities we did, but it's hard to balance baby, life jacket, splashing water & a camera. However, every time I went to check on him I loved snapping a quick sleeping shot. Here's John after a nap...
Playing with Abby before "church" started on Saturday.
Eating Lunch.
On the first day, we went to the Devils Water Hole to watch the older Hugghins kids jump off a twenty foot cliff into water. I brought John along. He didn't really care for deep cold water so we ended up taking turns supervising John on the rocks while the other parent cooled off in the water. The water was extra cold this year. I'm not sure if it was because we went in May instead of June, but it was really nice to jump in a cool lake when it was super hot out. The only problem was sunburn. Thankfully, John didn't get any, but Steven and my shoulders were a little crispy after the first day... despite several applications of sunblock.
We came back to camp for another nap for John.
Then we let him splash around in a kiddy pool to cool off. I thought it was funny that he wanted to swim in the pool and not the lake that was right near our site.
We make Waffles the second day. I'd never thought to do waffles while camping, but it's a really good idea. Here's everyone... except for John...
He was playing over by some tress. He's so handsome!
And it's time for another nap...
On the second day we got smart. We went to Longhorn Caverns to cool off during the hot part of the day... and see some caves. We went with the Sexton family. I love Inks lake because it gives you opportunity to hang out with families that we wouldn't normal see as much. We have such great families in our church that I wish we had more time to hang out with everyone. I've decided the best way to learn about parenting & marriage is to find people that have great kids and marriages and ask them what they did... so much better than any book you could read about either subject. The Sextons were a treat to spend the afternoon with.
We put John in another friend's Ergo we are borrowed, hoping he would nap... And he did... just as we were Exiting the caves. Oh well. He was just too excited about the echo in the cave and all the things to see.
After Dinner time I made a SMOOKIE! Haha... a marshmallow in between two cookies... two chocolate chip cookies. It was yummy... and messy.
This was the last night. John has seen me making my smookie and realized that there was fun to be had. This was the night it was hard to get him settled down to go to bed. I was roasting my marshmallow when I looked up and saw this...
Crazy kid. He did eventually fall asleep, but it took a while.
In the morning we packed up and were off! I put John on Jay's motorcycle before we left because I thought it would be cute... and it was, Thanks Jay!
We aren't going to be traveling much (or at all if we can) this summer because car rides are the WORST part of going anywhere. John can handle about 30 minutes and the he starts to lose it! He screams & cries no matter what I do. I tired everything from food to making silly faces at him, but this is what he wanted to do...
We were ALL glad to be home. John went around the house grabbing all his favorite toys and turning around to show us. I was most excited about showering!
No comments:
Post a Comment