Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Baking Torment

Confession: I'm addicted to an expensive habit...

meet parchment paper!


"Modern parchment paper is made by running sheets of paper pulp through a bath of sulfuric acid... a process which is reversed by washing the chemicals off followed by drying. This treatment forms a sulfurized cross-linked material with high density, stability, and heat resistance, and low surface energy – thereby imparting good non-stick or release properties." -Wikipedia

HEAT RESISTANT & LOW SURFACE (energy but I think they mean) TENSION.

Those words excite the engineering part of my brain that tangos with the housewife part of my brain. Nothing sticks to this stuff AND I can cook at very high temperatures... like for pizza or pitas. I think I fell in love with parchment paper around the time that I found artisan bread... but recently I discovered that I use this stuff at an alarming rate!

I joked that I don't turn my oven unless I have this in the house... and then I noticed it was on my grocery list a lot... then I figured that I was spending around $10 a month! On Paper I throw away each month! Ouch!!! What makes it worse is that I could just flour/oil a surface to keep it from sticking... or invest in one of these.

Ahhh.

So, I'm warning you not to get addicted as I have. For now I'm entering into a self inflicted weaning program.

1 comment:

  1. I just happened to stumble upon coupons online for parchment paper when I was looking for other coupons, so if you do a search I bet you can find some. But then again, maybe I shouldn't help feed your addiction by telling you this. LOL

    ReplyDelete