Monday, June 8, 2009

Before & After

During my last walk about in the back yard, I realized it was time for an update. Here are some before and after photos.

You will have to check out the before post, but here are some afters. Remember the almost free garden... look at it now. Thing have really taken off. If you can find the light green plants in between the small plants upfront... those are the pepper I picked off of the ornamental pepper plant last year. I just sprinkled them around and covered them with about 1/4 inch of soil. They are growing great and even had to be thinned out.



Here is a shot of the back yard now. The corn is much higher (& even this picture is out dated already). The corn is hard to see, but it is along the back fence. The other green stuff growing along the fence is sunflowers. The sunflowers are slowly but surely producing flowers. I've been taking pictures and I plan on posting them when they bloom. It's sooo much fun.



So we had some soil delivered to the house to fill in the vegetable garden. I'm pretty creative in my placement of plants, but I wanted a safe place for some vegetables (like lettuce, broccoli, radishes, potatoes, garlic, onion, etc) to grow.... somewhere with lose soil and little weeds. This was my little project between finishing the school semester and starting the new job.

Before & After......


We had extra dirt, so we improved the herb garden...
It's kinda hard to see (sorry about the bad picture... I'll try to fix it later), but we thinned out the tree/shrub and added more dirt. We transplanted the sage in the same place, and added the basil (either side) with cilantro and parsley in between.

And finally, the zennia garden. I have a ton of zennia seeds so I need a place to put them. We used more extra dirt to make this. I will plant zennias later. Steven dug up the sod and moved it to a low spot next to the deck... it was a good idea.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, since you expanded your herb garden do you have enough basil for me to steal some next week? I am planning a dish for a certain baby shower you might have heard about that would definitely benefit from some home grown basil. (But if it is still too early in the season to break off that much, I understand :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not too early. We were just thinking it was time to start pulling leaves. Basil grows really fast. Do you want me to bring some to the shower, or do you need to get it before to add to a dish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can just bring it. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete