Monday, March 28, 2011

Cloth Diaper Update

John is ridiculously close to turning a year old (it goes fast) and I thought I would be a good time for a cloth diapering update. I’ve written a few post and scheduled them for this week. Keep checking back for more information about how we cloth diaper.

Here are my other post in case you want to look back...
Explanation & Cost Comparison
Cost Comparison Corrected
How We Cloth Diaper (very detailed)
Homemade diapers (first post, second post)

The verdict after a year???..... I still really like cloth diapering.

However, I don't hesitate to use disposables on harder than normal days. What qualifies as a harder than normal day? Sickness (both him and/or me), Diaper Rash, Traveling, occasionally at Mops or Nursery & the dreaded-evil-most-horrible-thing-to-deal-on-a-baby's-bottom-YEAST INFECTIONS!

That sounds like a lot of excuses to not use cloth diapers, but even so, we still use them the majority of the time. John has really only been sick enough for me to not use cloth once and he rarely gets diaper rash (Praise the Lord). Traveling? I used to be better about using cloth but decided that the extra hassle was too much to stress about... plus we really don't travel that much so one purchase of disposables (~$35) will last us a few months. And yeast infection.... well, yeast infections are pure evil and are in fact the worst thing ever to deal with when it comes to a baby's bottom, BUT despite the extremely steep learning curve we are now highly skilled in swift yeast removal skills!

I don’t want to go into too much detail just yet. Tomorrow I’m talking about my ‘recommendation’ for Mom’s thinking about cloth diapering. I get asked enough that I’ve decided to write it down.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great that people can be flexible and use both. I know moms that use it at home but not at day care (although I know several of our local day cares take them now which is awesome!). Now that cloth is more popular, I hope more women realize they can try it part time without committing to it forever and always.

    Having said that, I have yet to purchase a single disposable diaper. (Lucy did wear a disposable flip insert I tried when I changed her at cotton babies - they keep them in their changing room and I wanted to see how well they worked :-). It just never seemed worth the trouble to go buy them - but we travel a lot. Lucy and I are gone at least a week a month so I've had a lot of practice figuring out my travel system. I actually like prefolds for traveling mostly for the space saving. And she has only had three rashes ever, one of which was because she was allergic to the flushable liner I was using and that scared me off of even trying disposables. Just wanted to chime in a say both ways work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I super impressed that you haven't used a disposable in 10 months! I'm also glad John hasn't had any crazy reactions to disposable diapers... However, everyone has their issues because we s-t-r-u-g-g-l-e with yeast. I'm going to talk about that on Wednesday. I hate yeast... and disposables save my sanity on yeast-y days.

    ReplyDelete